Friday, June 30, 2006

Superman vs. Kkrish!

I recently told someone that I didn't want to watch Hrithik Roshan flying around with a cape and mask! My friend was quick to point out that if I can see Superman wearing his underwear outside his pants, why can't I see 'Kkrish' with a cape?! And if Chinese people could fly in 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon', then why should Indians be left behind?!

So why did I make such a 'firangi' statement?

At the grassroot level, I think it's the inherent nature of Indians to admire and accept all things gora, or is it the fact that we'd rather let them look like fools than our own actors and actresses?! I mean, I am used to seeing Hrithik Roshan do more normal and human-like things (like running around trees, yeah, just like the rest of us!) than climbing up trees without using his hands... admittedly, I dont know who the hell is Brandan whazzisname and haven't seen any of his previous movies (if any); so I cant compare and think "what the hell is this guy thinking?!" ... but if Pierce Brosnan decided to bunk his armani suit and don yellow, blue and red attire, I'd definitely think twice! Oops! Suddenly the decision to watch Kkrish over Superman had become a matter of national pride! Hehehe..

But u know what? I did watch 'Kkrish' (I dont want Rakesh Roshan to lose any of his good luck, so am spelling the movie name as it really is) last nite and was pleasantly surprised that it was actually entertaining.. the same degree of entertainment which I would perhaps attribute to Daredevil, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and Spiderman (ok, action was not as fast as spiderman, but Kkrish could still climb hills using web-like hands and feet so atleast he had spiderman's super-powers!)...

Our desi superhero has a combination of all the powers of the afore-mentioned superheroes - except - he cant fly!! He just cant do it (picture me shaking my head going tsk tsk).. poor thing tried so hard towards the climax to follow the helicopter but he'd just couldn't get off the ground!! He had to go underwater instead.. !

So, he's not beat Superman - yet!

I will watch Superman anyways, but I have this new-found pride in what action and graphics Bollywood computers can conjure up after watching Kkrish... go Hrithik! :-))

3 comments:

rohit malik said...

Very sweet review! tsk tsk tsk! ; - )

Cheers, Rohit

Still Searching said...

Oops, I think I misspelt Kkrish.. its actually Krrish! So much for not wanting Rakesh Roshan to lose his good luck charm !

Anonymous said...

psycho! I cant believe you went to watch Hritik roshan flying around