Tuesday, July 03, 2007

If music be the food of life... play on!

I’m a pampered girl, I think… I’m used the good things in life like living in comfort and having access to basic amenities (defined as a stereo system, TV and a clean bathroom)… so when looking for a place to live in, I don’t mind paying a few extra bucks just for the comfort, cleanliness and niceness! My philosophy? - After all, what do we earn for?! Why do we slog our heads off the whole day if we can’t come back to enjoy a nice home? Not that I can’t live in difficult conditions, if I have no choice! And I can do so without complaining, unlike many people who crib and crib and give you a headache after a while (does not refer to anyone in particular)…

So when I moved to this new city, I decided to spend a few extra dollars to get myself a nice apartment which I can call home… and (barring the cat hair that I’ve already spoken about earlier) it turned out to be quite a delightful place! It’s clean, well furnished and has the most awesome speakers, all courtesy the girl whose rented the place to me (while she’s gone to Cornell to attend some summer conferences). It even has an A/C, which is a real blessing even this side of the seven seas and makes up for no TV… I have to dwell on the speakers for a bit though, to explain to you just how big a part music plays in my life (after all, the title of the post is related to music, so its best I come to the point soon!)…

Last Monday was one of the worst days of my life in a long time, in terms of how awfully wrong things can go and how badly Murphy’s Law can kick in… At the very outset of the day, I forgot to take my cell with me when I left for office… Then when I remembered my cell and came back home to get it, I missed the bus returning towards office... So had to call a cab, ended up spending too much money getting to office to find that I couldn’t work... My new laptop crashed at the first instance of being booted and I spent most of the day explaining the issue to tech support… In the evening, the bus was 15 min late, which is unbearable around here… Back at home, my front door refused to open, and I struggled with the rotten key for 10 min! Finally when I stomped in and settled down to heat some dinner for myself, the glass pot that I had kept on the gas plate shattered into a million pieces due to the heat and took my home-cooked dal with it! (Hey, don’t tell me the obvious… this was a Pyrex glass pot, it was supposed to withstand high temperatures!) And while I was trying to get it off the gas, the napkin got burnt and the whole kitchen smelt terrible (needless to say, both glass pot and napkin belonged to the girl who’s rented the place to me!)

So I slumped myself into the easy chair and let out a long sigh! What a day I was going through… I was scared of touching anything else in the apartment lest it falls apart! And then I happened to look at the speakers mounted on the wall in the living room… I think, oh, these speakers may be working! I quickly connected them to my mp3 player and switched them on…

And they had (still have, touchwood!) the most amazing bass ever! I’m talking about Altec speakers which can make even the most mundane sound seem unearthly! A sense of relief flooded me, like some magical Cheering Charm (yeah, I’ve caught the Harry Potter fever too!) was relaxing me and easing out my stress… I closed my eyes and let the sounds seep in, increased the volume to fill the whole apartment, unmindful of my neighbors and enjoying the moment… And I’m a great one for dancing around in the room with the music blasted… So I did just that… I pranced around the entire apartment doing my when-no-one-is-watching moves, utterly unconscious of the open blinds on my windows and possible onlookers! I totally forgot my pains of the day, the shattered glass, the lost home-cooked meal, the burnt carpet (did I mention I also burnt the carpet sometime during that day?!), etc, and was completely lost in the moment, immersed deep in the rhythms of my favorite music!

Anyhow, I’m sure this experience is not unique… so many people I know de-stress with music (though they probably don’t dance around like loonies)… But it’s only sometimes that you understand the true potential of music and its importance in your life… And since today was another one of those mindlessly-long-meetings, missing-bus-connections day when I came back home in a really bad mood, but was magically and instantly cheered up with the nicest line up of songs on the radio (seems like the host knows me so well, she’s been playing all my fav numbers!), I felt I just had to write about it…


You know, just to pay my respects!


P.S: While we’re on the topic of homes, I recently saw a sticker which read “So this is not Home Sweet Home... ADJUST!” … totally cracked me up!

42 comments:

Cool said...

I agree one needs a nice place to come back after work... otherwise why are we slogging so much......paying some extra dollars for a better house i can totally empahise with you :)

and after reading your post, i can say music is my first love not food... (Zee your post confused me, Ruchi's helped me decide :) )

Nice New Guy said...

A nice comeback from the-bad-day-it-could-have-been to music-made-my-day.

I used to have the when-no-one-is-watching moves, but at one point you just don't care who's watching (as long as they can't call the local hospital).

That's the first post I read in your blog, and eager to read more.

Indrajit said...

hey !
liked it.
i read this account before, but couldn't comment.
wish you never see one of those bad days again.
:)

Unknown said...

ha ha cool sticker get one for your house and one for me. :)

I also have this habit of playing music and dancing like a crazy girl...good fun it is.

Still Searching said...

`cool
hehehe, am glad i could help you decide, becoz its true, u cant have 2 first loves :))

`nice new guy
nice new comments from you :) hehehe, yeah sure, i usually dance without being conscious of who is watching or where I am, but I don't do my 'when-no-on-is-watching' moves then! Those are reserved for only moi! :))

Oh and yeah, u're probably right about the guy having naughty thoughts, and his gf (wife in this case) knowing about it :))

`indr's angels
thanks, hope to see you back in this space again...

`chaits
really?! who would've guessed that! I didn't know you did that... wow, thats interesting that I just got to know something new about u... that u're as loony as me! (that's not a good thing!)

Shanks said...

i like the way u write n express, especially liked the paris n spring...

as for this one, i totally agree with u, me being one of those , who gets totally mawkish on music...

Unknown said...

ha ha birds of a feather flock together...is that the right saying!!! :)

that you which song you know...chinna chinna aisai from Roja...ha ha

nutty said...

haha! lou'd the sticker quote!

completely agree with you about music cheering anyone on a bad day (pssst - I dance around when I'm by myself too! ;) )

errrr - don't mean to be critical tho just a teeny weeny FYI - the quote from Shakespeare is actually "If music be the food of love" :)

Spider42 said...

hey,
oh man, livin in a new place, tryin to feel at home and feeling lost at the end of a down day.. sounds so familiar!
i couldnt agree with you more, if i didnt have my music I would have pulled all my hair out by now but it never fails to put me at peace..
though theres no radio stations here that play anything i listen to, so thats a sadness.
as far as the comforts go.. well ive always been very spartan by nature, but thats become more so since I got my laptop since now i dont watch tv even... gimme my music, a few select dvds and a matress to sleep on, and im right as rain..

Still Searching said...

`shanks
thanks, i like the paris n spring one too! :)

`chaits
cartoons, we!

`nutty
one more looney joins the club! my questions is, don't any guys do this dancing alone thing?! I'm guessing thats the only way they dance without being 3 pegs down!
Oh and yeah, I know the quote is about love, but there isn't any love for music to feed right now, so thought its just better with life, and sounds close enough :)

`the dude
haha.. only a mattress? hmmm... dependency on computer, that i've already spoken about and totally understand!

Zee said...

you didnt tell me new blog up!!!!

music is a real real healer. when u've had a shitty day at work, all u need to do is join in whatever shitty song the radio's playing and sing out loud and it'll make u burst into giggles within mins.

trust me i've danced like a loonie many many times. i actually wake up to music....as in wake up and put on 102.6 (if u remember nice indian delhi channels) and i dance while brushing my teeth........not a pretty sight though i must admit......

Ganju said...

am glad you survived the unpleasant day. am also suitably impressed with the amount of havoc you can wreak on a defenseless apartment. would you mind visiting some people i don't like :)

satyajit said...

I know how much a comfy place means bcos right now, i'm looking for one too..sigh!

satyajit said...

hey, i just read yr comment abt guys not dancing wala bit..i cant speak for others but i totally do it...and i've done it in a car at busy traffic junctions...i love the way people look at you while they're dead jealous of u..

Still Searching said...

`zee
hehehehe... dancing while brushing your teeth... thats a new one :)

`ganju
i'm all in fav of wrecking anyone's place on your behalf! esp the kitchen! :))
btw, i read on ur blog that u've also moved into new apartment.. thank god mine was fully furnished! i'd die if i had to do what u did!

`satyajit
OMG! U've commented again! Finally something has enticed you! Am really glad about that, nice to have you back in this space :)

And yeah, I've done the dancing in the car and singing at the top of my voice many many times, and I'm glad to see guys (atleast some intelligent ones) do it too! :)))

zoxcleb said...

music is the defining drive in many of us. when all else fails, i just switch on my music, and lose myself in it. There are always songs to suit the mood, and some to change it..

as for ur days.. wow... u rivalling mine! ;-)

Amit said...

absolutely ruchika! dance like no ones watching, live like you dont care! nice nice post. very long but nice! beeg hug and rock on! one of those here today is all thats importnat kinda posts! Yo!

sinusoidally said...

Oh no what a bad day. But still worse could have happened. And no TV? How do you survive?!

Still Searching said...

`zoxcleb
Totally agree, nothing like music to get you through a day! Wish I could make music too, then I'd never be bored!

`amit
welcome back! U'd disappeared for some time... Yeah this was one exceptionally long post, I realised later.. but I think there was just so much to say about that bad bad day that I couldn't make it shorter without taking away from the misery of it! :))

`sinusoidally
welcome to this page.. yeah, I just went to sleep really soon! And I live on reading books, thats how I do without TV :)

zoxcleb said...

making music isnt that hard... all u need is anice table, and a pencil ;-)

yeah i know what u mean ... wud be cool if i could play an instrument... or at least remember how i could play the keyboard/flute. till then i have my blogs...

Keshi said...

All the best there girl!

Shit happens..I mean shit days happen :)

Keshi.

Itchingtowrite said...

ha ha cool sticker... i totally agree that what r we earning for bit...btw, do check out the entire series of weight management that i have posted

Invincible said...

hmmm...i liked ur philosophy...lolz.. i thnk in near bout de same way.. altec's speakers r kwel!! don tlk of muzzic man..ths z de only thn whch z keepin me alive :D

Amandeep Singh said...

how come I read this post of urs befo and did not comment..beats me!!!
I did..but where did it go..

neways..nice to know u ve gat nice Speakers..(n home) lol..I mean nice speakers are vv v v important...they can make up for loads n loads f things..

and it seems u r doing good!
Enjoy!!
:)

Still Searching said...

`zoxcleb
yeah, i know.. wish i could get back to playing the instrument i had learnt many yrs back, and get back to singing! making music is that simple?! thats what my bro also says, but i'm not convinced! I'd probably be like bappi lahiri and copy some song's tune and then claim its mine! :))

`keshi
oh yeah, shit happens all the time!

`itchingtowrite
did u write some more? i've read the one u posted on friday...

`invincible
yeah, i didnt know altec was good till i reached here!

`standbymind
u commented earlier? i didnt see... yes speakers are most imp component to enjoy music!

Nasia said...

Hindi movie after effect.. i was expecting you to trip, fall, speakers to break or soemthing.. while you were dancing.. Anyway that was a happy ending.. :-) i too hav blog rolled you!!

IR said...

moved too new jersey !

Scarlet said...

hey well written!

I agree that music and dance(especially by yourself in a closed room) is the best stress buster ever....

CandidConfessions said...

Oh those bad days!! Hummpphh! Tell me abt it! And yes music works wonders! and yeah the Adjust thing is damn funny!!

Still Searching said...

`nasia
hehehe.. i was expecting it too, but luckily no more harm was caused to the apartment or me! :)

`ir
yes, moved to new jersey 3 months back! :)

`sneha
glad u agree! :)

`cc
i know! the adjust thing is a very original thought! :)

Jeya Anand said...

yeah...music has such magic....and that should had been a great day;)

What's In A Name ? said...

"defined as a stereo system, TV and a clean bathroom)".....that makes u feel u r pampered? God! You are one austere girl! Good to know.....

Incrediblyirrational said...

you rock girl!! by the way i have something for you on my blog :)

Princess Banter said...

Ooof -- that did sound like one helluva bad day. But no worries, it can't get any worse the next day, huh? For every bad day you have, you get a very happy day in return. At least that's something for you to look forward to ;)

Bullshee said...

Yes, music the true healer!I have music swings based on mood swings!
When I'm angry its metallica,
when I'm sad its jazz,
And when I feel romantic....who am i kidding???! :(

Time to go put on some jazz!!

Keshi said...

if not for MUSIC I'd be dead by now. Im serious.

Keshi.

S said...

ok now can we have another food for commenting ?????

Cool guy said...

Nice
Like ur blogs. but last two are very different

Still Searching said...

`jeya
yeah, it finally turned out to be pretty peaceful :)

`whats in a name?
hehehe.. oh well, I get by with this much.. :)

`nithya
thanks so much for the 'thinking blogger' award! I'm really glad about thefact that someone thinks so! :))

`princess banter
haha... thats one positive thought I can use for the next time I have a bad day!

`bullshee
awww.... btw, I listen to jazz when i'm calm and restful, not sad..

`keshi
me too. serious.

`s
yes, one new post coming up!

`cool guy
thanks, welcome to my world.. and last 2 are good different or bad different?! :)

Arun Srinivasan said...

he he he he..if u listen to mine..i bet u will feel urself better...

arpana said...

*smiles*

aaah, music, always peps us up doesnt it ? ;-)

Daroga said...

music is THE BEST de-stresser (if that's a word). It works extremely efficiently for me.

One question though: WHY didn't you use microwave to heat it ????