Monday, July 31, 2006

Was it good for you?

The world is racing by, and I find myself looking at my body from the outside, fixated on nothing yet concentrated.. I feel immense well-being, yet I am not even sure if I am alive! I am not sure where I am, yet the world hasn't made so much sense in a long time! I am not sure if its been 10 mins or 10 secs since I've been like this... Everything is moving at an amazing speed, yet I am calm, serene and unmoved.. or am I? Coz I can hear someone screaming and I wonder, is that me? My mind is here (or is it?) but my body is spiralling down towards a faint object in the distance.. oh my God, I really am falling!! Head first! Am I going to die? Isn't the ground approaching a bit too fast than I bargained for?? Wait a min, I don't care! I am not scared! This is great.. infact that scream.. it isn't 'Oh god, I'm going to die'.. its more like 'Awesome, one more time pls!'..

I love the rush, the sound of air whizzing past, the tiny objects becoming larger, the city lights far away, getting dimmer (or brighter?!)... the freedom my body is experiencing, the way my hands and legs are flailing about and my clothes are threatening to tear away from me.. I love that I don't have to care if anyone is looking at me (infact, the more the better!), that it doesn't matter if I am screaming or laughing too loudly.. love the fact that I have pushed myself over the edge and feel no fear (or have overcome it in the first few seconds itself!), that I know I won't die and that's what gives me the freedom to enjoy my head-first dive into nowhere..

Oh yes, I love every min (or secs?) of my first (and hopefully not the last) bungee-jump!

Gonna free fall out into nothin
Gonna leave this world for a while
And I'm free, free fallin'
-- Tom Petty, Free Fallin'


P.S. - Facts: Bungee jumping at 'Prater' Amusement Park, Vienna, Austria, April 2005.

12 comments:

S said...

hey that must have been fun ....hate to admit but i find it too scary to try ..wht if the cord breaks or the ground below disappears @##$%%

Y? said...

wow wow! Even i want to bungee jump NOW!

zoxcleb said...

i've been waiting to try that myself...

and i love the way u wrote abt it.... triggers the imagination..

Anonymous said...

Hope to do that myself someday. Reminds me of my first river rafting experience.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for the wrong identity above

Prasoon said...

you infact saddened me.. i remember the day when i had mine - i was barely 15 then.. ah, twas so good n have been looking for more of those but havent found any since then :( mine happened to be of mere 125 feet - what about yours?

Still Searching said...

Nice to see so many comments from you people.. bungee jumping is actually as exciting as it seems!

shilpi.. we musn't let little things like fear interfere with these experiences in life, coz life is too short to be spent without taking some chances!

y?.. u must! It's all that it's made out to be and more!

lifeasithappens... thanks! and since ur typing speed is twice as fast as a normal person's, u're allowed the occasional typo!

zoxcleb.. glad to see you are still commenting (saw ur previous comments too) :-) u must try bungee jumping if u ever get the chance.. thanks, i used a slightly different style in this post and am glad it worked!

hiren.. am sure river rafting is a lot of fun too! i really want to do it sometime, maybe make a trip to rishikesh some time this yr

prasoon.. aawww.. i know what u mean! the rush is so great, you could get addicted to it! no wonder so many foreigners spend most of their lives doing adventure sports!

the vestige said...

you are way more talented than i thought you were... dancing was a given... but the way you express yourself in words is way better... ok i guess thts enough to make your day...

i have done a cliff dive at good old rishikesh and a psycho ride at ocean park HK... but am yet to take the daddy of all plunges...

and merci beaucoup for adding The Vestige to your links.. might get some audience

i'll have another one said...

hehehe first part had me thinking it was a rather powerful haluccigenic experience....get a real feel of the adrenaline rush...gonna wanna do it too now.

ps the free fallin part is just perfect

Prasoon said...

game for base jump :P - thats the daddy of bungee btw...
no string attached - you select a cliff or a high rize and JUMP with a parachute tho...

bungee has its own fun tho - where did you do this bungee btw?? i should see if i can visit the place soon - if close, i should put it on my to-do lists !!

candid diary said...

Phooey, I never had such experience.
Had an imaginary jump, though, after reading your post.

Still Searching said...

Vestige...
Yes, u did make my day! But it also means u grossly under-estimated me earlier! And hello, we wrote many a group project reports together! Brand-management, something else also I think...Hehehehe..

Pranavbal...
Like I said to y? etc also, you really must try bungee jumping if u ever get the chance.. its quite an emancipating experience actually! and yes, teh free fallin is just how it is!

Prasoon...
Free falling without any thing holding u up is a more exhilirating experience.. but I cant really say for sure since I haven't done para-gliding or the other stuff u mentioned.. I did it in Vienna last year, in a famous amusement park there..

Candid diary...
Am glad you were able to get the feel of it atleast, from my post!