Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Upside down!

Am blogging from another continent today.. in the days since my last post, I've travelled across the seven seas, as they say, and entered a new phase of my life! Like I've been saying on my blog since New Year's - 2007 is a year of changes, ups and downs and hopefully some settling down!

I've been here like 4 days, and its not hit me yet that I'm not at home.. you see, it really helps to have family who can take care of you, feed you dhoklas, upma and chapatis so that you feel "Dilli door nahin"! I'm eating, sleeping and surfing the net all day - just like I did at home! And to top it all, they're trying to make me watch 'Saloni ka safar' or some such soap on Zee, which I never even watched at home! And God help me, if I ever do end up watching it, I know I've been converted!

Anyways, since its weekdays and everyone's working, I haven't gone out much, so there is no shell shock - yet. Ofcourse there is the usual getting used to the different time zone and weather.. But there are some things that I always knew about, yet when I have to face them in reality, my mind boggles!

I mean, for starters.. there is such a thing as 'too quiet'!! Ok, I lived in South Delhi's relatively quiet, "posh" area earlier, so its not like I am not used to screaming vendors and constant traffic all the time.. but I did wake up every morning to the incessant honking of the DTC buses on the main road nearby, I did wake up to the constant chattering of the maid who came to mop and sweep the house, and my mom's daily chatter with her.. I did wake up to the pleading of my helper at asking me to drink my morning tea before it got too cold, I did wake up to the blaring sound of early morning news on TV.. And I did sleep to the sound of loud punjabi music on loud speakers playing in the park near our house when the wedding season was on!

Where is all that?!!

I haven't heard a single noise from any car nearby, ours or otherwise! No one listens to the TV at a blaring loud volume coz its so quiet everywhere, you CAN hear the tv at lower volumes! No one comes barging into the house everyday to clean up and talk (as if talking is part of the job description of a maid!).. No one understands the goodness of a chaloo chai (the one made from Red label tea leaves and not Lipton tea bags).. and no one seems to be around at all!!!! Today was the first time I heard the door bell ring in 4 days! I didn't know what the sound was for, till my aunt got up and opened the door! Hehehe.. Its so quiet, I can hear my own breathing!! And I feel awfully guilty about even trying to listen to my CDs coz I feel it will cause a raucous in the house! Imagine, my little cd player! :))

And ofcourse, the switches are all upside down, they drive on the wrong side of the road, they have names for all the roads, and they have huge spaces of land in between their houses which my Indian mind considers a waste! Hehehe..

Oh well, ofcourse one gets used to it :) There is nothing like driving on wide open roads at good speeds, rather than tackling Delhi-Gurgaon traffic on NH8 every morning..

But.. someone just give me good old noise!! :))

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

BBUURRRPPP; hope that helps.
all the best in your new innings fatso.

manish said...

heyyyyyyyyyyyyyy...wake up.....:-))hope you heard the noise !! By the way ,which continent is it ?? seven seas,tells me,you must be around US :-)

zoxcleb said...

hahaha... sounds all too familiar..
but u get used to it...

dont worry.. soon a single car horn will annoy u ;-)

Anonymous said...

Send me your numbers - and you will hear the phone ring :)
- R

Cool said...

NH8 has improved, its very wide and you can travel non stop with no red lights :), last time i reached home in 12 mins from the airport :)

and i am sure you will adjust to new surrounding very soon...

Still Searching said...

`anonymous
fatso?! :((

`manish
maybe, maybe not ;) and yeah, i heard the noise :)

`zoxcleb
hehehe.. really?! it gets that bad?! :))

`R
that'll be great :)

`cool
hehehe.. ur'e right.. i also took 12 mins from my office to the airport last month.. but thats in the Off-peak hours only! i know, i'll get used to it slowly..

Anonymous said...

Told ya you'd hear the phone :)

Life said...

hey ruchika iam back :)i think u remember me ???

so in u have been seven seas...that sounds intresting..:)by the in which continet ur in ???
i guess its on earth :D

Take Care
Vikas{V}

Jeya Anand said...

The importance of silence felt in the noisy India ...
The significance of Noise felt in the calm "ur continent"...

We always long for wats not available..:)

Zee said...

and i'm finally commenting!!!!! :) just 2 points to start with....
1. saloni ka safar rocks. it's 10 times better than kasam se and 300 times better than kyonki
2. we have names of roads even in delhi!!!!! duhhhhhh we just didn't know them!!!
but good to know u're not homesick (yet) though we do hope u miss home soon enuff to hop over for a holiday! :)

nutty said...

welcome to amrika!!

don't worry you get used to it eventually ... if u miss home too much don't hesitate in giving me a call :D

take care of you!

zoxcleb said...

and yeah.. welcome to the "new" and confused world...

Amandeep Singh said...

Well...when ya r here ya say Wtf..the noise..the mariage speakers..the jagrata...my maid screaming..
well u give me a feelin I may love all this...
neways I hope ya settle well n get used to it

brandy said...

Sounds like an exciting time for you!! I'm jealous of the travelling.

Incrediblyirrational said...

i feel this everytime i move to any new place. but i learnt that every place has it own beauty,we simply refuse to see it because of the natural psycological inertia to changes.

CandidConfessions said...

Welcome aboard! :) The all resistant us refusing to give up the old ways of having things be!

Aditi said...

may be u'll be used to it, we people are never isolated, everytime you'll find something or the other being noisy...
:)

Still Searching said...

`vikas

good to see u're back.. i commented on your latest posts too.. I'm across seven seas in Amrika :)

`jeya
u're right.. grass is always greener on the other side!

`zee
u're late this time! :)
saloni better than kasam se?! whats kasam se?! hmmm.. that comparison doesnt mean anything to me! my uncle here teases me that i'm more american than they are.. hehehe..

`nutty
thank you thank you :) would love to catch up some time, although i'm right across on the other side of this huge country!

`zoxcleb
thanks..

`standbymind
yeah, u should learn to enjoy that "noise" while you have it! hehehe..

`brandy
yeah, its a new world :)

`nithya
yes, every place has its beauty.. and i'm discovering all of it as the days go by :)

`candid confessions
well, i'm all for change actually.. otherwise i wouldn't have come here.. but there are some things u just miss!

`aditi
hmmm.. yeah, it all turns out right i guess :)

S said...

hi!!
finally i managed to open your blog ..shanghai has its own set of pbms :-)
and trust me , watching saloni ka safar is so much better than watching the same DVDs till the time they exhaust themselves !!!
N try as much as you can , the best you can get in terms of hindi TV is sahara or Zee Utsav..n thrs some Yellow TV also !

Life said...

OHHH...amricka mein kya kar rahe ho????????

delhi--se ---america.----when back to india??????????
and thanks for ur comments
Take Care
Vikas{V}

Neha said...

hey where are you? in the US?
lol.. ull settle down.. and maybe when ull come back here.. ull b like i want peace!!

NH8 sucks.. though uts def become better than what it was!

take care.. n have fun!

Amandeep Singh said...

Please accept my bows...u like rammstein..which is damn awesome...
and U hav these morbid thoughts in yer mind..a bow again.....
btw ..R u Livin in AmeriKA...?;)

avighnya said...

hey...welcome to amreeka !
cant tell u how much i long to honk on these roads , u hardly get a chance to do that ! ...and when u get one, dont miss it ...

Still Searching said...

`s
hii.. am so happy to have you back on my blog commenting! I see u've opened 2 new blogs of your own, but no posts! :(
Yellow TV?! Yeah I know what you mean about watching same DVD again and again.. what do you think I did in Paris for 1.5 yrs!

`vikas
america mein trying to work!

`neha
yeah.. i know.. when i came back from Paris for the first time after 6 months, I was like why are so many people honking?! Why is there so much noise?! Hehehe...

`standbymind
good to find someone similar!

`amulya
yeah.. i also unconsciously move my hands to blow the horn but have to stop myself! hehehe.. btw, do i know you?

zoxcleb said...

so my blog tells me u are in jersey.. thats not too far from india ;-)

hope u having fun!

mathew said...

hehehe..welcome abroad!!

S said...

hey ruchi this is apni amu !!

Still Searching said...

Oh really?! So cool! Did you send her the blog address?!

S said...

yup!