Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Blessed!

As you may have guessed from my previous post, things haven't been going too well this week, and everyday something goes really wrong and I feel stressed and irritated, and like I said, provoked.

Today was one more such aggravating event... aaah, its not exactly the world's biggest emergency, but I happened to have twisted my ankle really badly and now am unable to walk around and have to be in bed nursing myself back to normalcy...

But I'll tell you why I'm not feeling aggravated, and not feeling like I'd throwing myself under a moving bus or something! (Because believe me, this stupid sprain has really bad timing!) It's because I've been blessed with these people who've taken great care of me! Thank God for small mercies!

This is how it all began.. I got off the bus this evening and was crossing the road to the other side to catch my connecting bus home.. there was a huge pothole kind of thing in the middle of the road that I didn't see and promptly, my high heeled shoes (there's just 1.5 inches!) caught in the middle of the freakin hole and my ankle twisted 180 degrees totally, and I lost my balance... luckily I managed to catch myself in time (by only some wonderful stroke of luck, due to which I wasn't looking like a total fool splayed across the road!) but I was knocked out of breath! Anyways, the pain wasn't that bad then and I managed to make small talk with the guy who came to help me... now this is very interesting... some sense of humour these people have.. I was just regaining control when this guy asks me "Are you Indian?"... I thought, fine time he's chosen to make polite conversation! But I answered yes, and he's like "Yeah... don't know how to walk in high heeled shoes, do ya?!".... !!!! Although I laughed right back at him and pointed to the offending pothole, I was bewildered by his joke! Hehehe... anyways, he's obviously not one of the people I was blessed with this evening, so lets move on...

I'm staying at a guesthouse right now, which is run by a young couple (lets call them J and D) who are really great people, very friendly and cheerful! There are other guests also, infact on Sunday we all had a barbeque and had a lot of fun talking and enjoying a nice fall day together! Anyways, I called J shortly after I realized that I couldn't walk 5 steps without getting paralyzed with pain! I explained the situation to him and requested if he can pick me up, because I just would'nt have been able to manage the walk from bus stop etc... he was so wonderful, he came right away! unfortunately I was waiting on the other side from where he parked his car, and my otherwise loud voice carried no further than 5 feet when I called out to him! He left by the time I wobbled to the other side at top speed, and then I found him 10 mins later on the side that I'd just left!! So ofcourse, more wobbling, panting, paralyzing etc took place but I didnt catch him in time... anyways, finally he called me again and picked me up, inspite of having made 3 trips from his house to the bus station already!

Back home, his wife took care of arranging dinner etc for me and making me comfortable... had the food delivered to me at the dining table, which is a rare or almost unknown thing here, especially for those not in the same family!

And then one of the guests came in... she'd been through this before, and knew exactly what to do... because there was nothing available at home right away, she walked to the nearest pharmacy and bought me an icebag and bandage, all of her own accord! Then she helped me with putting it on.... and finally, when it was time for me to go upto my room (it doesn't help that I stay on the 3rd floor!), she actually carried my laptop bag, my handbag and my shoes upstairs for me! And from nowhere, J produced a pair of crutches (he'd also sprained his ankle a few months back), and they both taught me how to use it... and slowly but steadily I hopped, skipped and jumped upstairs, and now am safely tucked into bed.. delirious because of the painkiller I was finally forced to eat, but happy to be resting!

And it makes me ever so grateful to see how much out of their way these literal strangers went for me! I am alone in this city, as in these people are not my friends in the real sense... we just met a week back! But I'm just so touched with their kindness, that I feel blessed! I consider that I could be totally alone, trying to cope with the whole thing myself (which I could do, but its miserable!)... but I have all these people to take care of me.. didn't make me miss my family for a bit, in a time of trouble!

And I thought people didn't care anymore. Misconception. Especially if you reach out for help instead of trying to do it all by yourself (I would in normal circumstances be too shy to ask for help, and would rather have taken the bus in agony than "bothered" these people).

Nice. The pain is there. But I'm not miserable. There is a God, somewhere! (everywhere!)

37 comments:

IR said...

1.5inches is a lot , how do women manage to walk on heels ?!

may your ankle spring right back (to its correct position)

aargee said...

hope you get better soon...when you started to explain the story, in between I started to imagine some hero lifting you and taking you to the other side of the bus stop...does that happen only in movies?hehhehe...sorry to joke at this point of time..but do go to a doctor..take care

S said...

Awwwww..tht must be painful ..but never mind. Considering the blessing that you have in the form of your caretakers, your ankle would be back to its original position before you start getting bored of resting in bed !!
But do take care of yourself .

Cuckoo said...

Get well soon gal. Glad to hear there are concerned people in a small corner of the vast country you live in. Look at this as an opportunity to read, sleep like a dog and listen to your fave music. More importantly, as soon as you get better.. go on a shoe shopping spree :) Howzzat?

Unknown said...

Ouch that must hurt badly...take care and hope it gets better soon.
Its nice to be reminded that there are nice people out there and not everything is bad right!!!

Zee said...

we all seem to be having these days huh......everything wrong but with a silver lining!!!

heal the heel my dear! and do the suzique

Still Searching said...

`ir
they're not much, considering I once danced in 3.5 inch heels! Not even once, I think I've done it atleast 3 or 4 times! :)) Hehehe... thanks, I hope it becomes ok soon...

`aargee
hehehe... well, J did offer to lift me up, but I declined, seeing as I didn't want to kill him in the effort! hehehe... no need for doctor, what will he do? just give me painkillers, which i'm already stuffing myself with!

`s
yeah, atleast i didnt have to hobble to office today and worked from home...

`cuckoo
aah, i have had to work the whole day! but i did sleep, thanks to the painkillers, and i have been listening to music the whole day! so its not bad, and my ankle is better :) great to have good people around you, for sure!

`chaits
oh yeah, really nice to be reminded that all is not lost!

`zee
hehehe, i know... thank god for the silver lining though! :)

Daroga said...

Get well soon :)
it's really nice to meet such good people in a strange land.
And of course... GOD is there... somewhere.

Bullshee said...

Heels!Damn them,eh?!

And yeah its so nice you have people to take care of ya in a strange city....they might look at ya one say and say "Ruchi, I think this is the start of a beautiful friendship" a.k.a Casablanca style....

Ok, take rest and get back on your feet[literally!]

Ram said...

There's help everywhere, there's kindness everywhere, there's caring everywhere,

You just have to stick your hand out and ask.

-Ram.

Zee said...

ruchi...for ur blogger award....u don't have a dog!!!!

Cool said...

Hey Get well soon!!
and its true all is not lost in this world....

Still Searching said...

`adarsh
yeah, its especially nice when you're all alone and find that there are people to help you out!

`bullshee
heheh.. it wasnt the heels!!! it was the pothole!! :)) and btw, there are certainly atleast some people who've helped me out whom I would like to start a new relationship with! ;)

`ram
yes u're right.. i'm slowly discovering that people dont usually offer help, but if you ask they will certainly help you out, and go out of their way!

`zee
YES I do!! He's in Bbbsr, his name is Sultan, and he's a darling! I've always had a dog through out my life! Hmmm... I dont talk about him much do I?!

`cool
yup, thank god for that!

Ganju said...

let's go back to point format:
1. you poor child - i know how unpleasant a twisted ankle can be. hope it get's better soon.
2. yes, how nice the people in question have been - am glad your faith in humankind has been restored
3. i thought i had many points - apparently i had only two - oops!

Cuckoo said...

Hope you are ready to run a marathon now! Better?

BD said...

:D

Throw them! The high heeled things :)

shantanu said...

I have a thought. When we are in pain or difficulty how often do we reach out ? Does it not often happen that we rationalize by ourself that people are very busy and so on..

Anyway I've been helped by total strangers before and I know the feeling.
But most of the times we are so consumed by trying to cover up all signs of vulnerability that we tend to put potential Samaritans in doubt

Confounded-Lady said...

Amen to that :)

And do get better :)

zoxcleb said...

people are always helpful, u just need to know where to look.. thats what i've learnt since i've come here. of course when i say ppl i mean those not known to u.

APOO said...

After reading this post, Humpty Dumpty is playing repeatedly in my head. I think I need some sleep.

Get well soon.... and if you are stuck home becoz of the broken foot.... blog more :P

Vadapoche said...

Get well soon. 3.5 inches!!!??? thats a foot stool!

Still Searching said...

`ganju
in any case its nice to have you back on the comments space, 2 points or not! yes, for a while I've started believing in humanity again..

`cuckoo
hah! marathon?! I can hardly go to the loo! no, seriously, am better, though the ankle is still swollen and sore, but there's not much pain... i did get a lot of help later too, so am glad for it! thanks for asking :)

`equilibrium
it was NOT the heels!! it was the pothole!!! :)))

`shantanu
u may have a point, but i've been thinking about why i dont like asking for help.. its defintely not because i want to hide my vulnerability, its mostly because i think its too much trouble for the other person, and i dont want to put them through it.. which is stupid, but thats just me! this time i did manage to do things differently though, when i knew it would be more trouble for me to do it alone than for someone else to help me!

`mayth
thanks! :)

`zoxcleb
haha! i agree, its possible that strangers or people who you are not friends with are bigger help sometimes than your close friends, though i wont say its been the case with me.. but still, i know...

`apoo
hehehe... u're making fun of a por injured soul! :(((

`jollyroger
haha! yeah, u can say that again!!

mathew said...

get well soon dudette..am sure u tripped after seeing some hot hunk cross the road..;-P..just kiddin..

when help comes from unexpected quarters they make us feel special..they inspire us to help others...

I had many strangers helping me out when i came abroad for the first time..and it taught me valuable lessons..

Nasia said...

My mom always tells me.. help everyone u can without expecting it back.. cause if nt them God sends sumone to help us.. wen we need help.. :)..
True isnt it?..

hw u feeling nw??

cm chap said...

Hope ur better now... All of us get this kind of days...when every possible damn thing will go wrong... Glad that u got help...

zoxcleb said...

i didnt say its always the case, its just ironical that it sometimes is.

so hows the ankle holding up? or is it holding any of u up yet?

Amandeep Singh said...

xaOk!
no AAAAAHhhh this time!

U are better for sure

:) get well pal..soon!

Incrediblyirrational said...

where did my comment go????????

arpana said...

sometimes its strangers who are dearer than friends.

Still Searching said...

`mathew
actually i did trip because i was looking at someone, except it was hot a handsome hot hunk... it was someone else who i am going to write a whole post about! yes its true, that strangers helping you out says a lot about people...

`nasia
expectation is what makes the whole thing go sour...

`cm-chap
oh yeah, days when if something can go wrong, it will! :))

`zoxcleb
holding me up with a lot of support! :))

`standbymind
hehehe... nope, no aaargggh this time.. was trying to look at the postive side of things! thanks, am trying to get better :)

`nithya
there was no comment from you earlier! :((

`arpana
yes, very true.. sometimes they make you feel better about yourself than your friends do!

aargee said...

you are tagged dear!Please check out.. http://aargeesworld.wordpress.com

APOO said...

Hey, did you hurt your hand as well?

S said...

take care!
nice blog, read through some of it..

S said...

And use the time to blog and tell us a little more ;)

Still Searching said...

`aargee
i dont have a middle name either, so i'll have to make up one!

`apoo
aaah, well.. errr.. no...

`anansi
hey, thanks for coming by my blog... glad you liked it.. unfortunately, with the sprain happened a brain drain!

APOO said...

Good thing u posted, else my next comment was gonna be - if your hand aint hurt, why the loooooooong gap in typing up a post! :P

Vik Rajagopalan said...

Well I was actually hoping for a guy to come and take you in that "white horse" :-) but did'nt matter what happened but the folks who helped you and all that, they are one mighty good set of people. When I was in the US, all I had to do even when I was running a high temp was to drive a car to the near by doctor's. Felt so bad ....