Monday, October 22, 2007

From Spring to Fall...

There’s a green, a faded yellow and a bright lemon. A deep maroon looks down upon me and a sudden bright red peeks out from the corner and surprises me. Sunlight falls on one and it lights up in a magnificent golden. There’s a mehndi orange, there’s a pumpkin orange and an orange the colour of mahogany furniture. They mingle easily with the tangerine yellow and the yellow the colour of corn… the rust gives way to the more assertive vermillion red, which overpowers the others… As I look out the window, there is a profusion of colours, each distinct yet existing in harmony… the number of shades on the leaves of all these trees is awe-inspiring! And even though the branches will soon be bare and look lonely, it seems as if they are enjoying the present in a celebration of colours and of life itself!

Fall is here. I moved here in Spring. I remember I wrote about spring, of hope, of blooming of life. It’s been 6 months since then. And with another milestone coming up in a week (those of you who know what it is, please treat this as a reminder that if nothing else, I want at least calls/emails!), I’ve been doing some self-analysis and have reached some conclusions… but that’s for later… What’s striking me the most right now is the mind’s ability to adapt to circumstances, situations, new places, new phases and new faces at rapid speed!

For example, I am amazed at how quickly my brain has adapted to driving on the right side of the road! In fact, the other day I was watching a Hindi movie and for a second I thought, ‘why is this guy driving on the “wrong” side of the road?’!

In 6 months, I’ve learnt to say “we” instead of “I” in office. For example, even if it was only me who worked on a document, I say “we drafted this”. This is the culture here, and I think it may be more of a CYA strategy rather than a display of teamwork, but in any case, in Rome, you got to do as the Romans!

Traveling at 85 km/h has become more the norm rather than the exception now! In fact, sometimes I have to speed up more to avoid slowing down someone behind me…

Standing in lines patiently, awaiting your turn is more pleasant now since I don’t have fat uncles or bullies who shove their way to the front of the line before me…

I’m drinking tea from a teabag, adding milk later! (God help me on this one! I’ve no idea when I got accustomed to this, but I miss the Indian chai like hell!)

I find it easier thinking in Fahrenheit than converting into Celsius and then figuring out how hot or cold it is or would be… (this may have something to do with my abominable math skills too!)

And in these 6 months, I’ve learnt that distance is a much bigger healer than time.

But, I still can’t adjust to this – how Americans have a name for every ailment that ever happened to anyone! They have a syndrome for every condition you ever thought of! The best yet is the ‘restless legs’ syndrome! And of course there’s ADD – Attention Deficit Disorder. And everyone is self-diagnosing it and shouting from the rooftop, I have ADD. I can’t concentrate on one thing for a long time. Hmmm. You need a spank, not a drug.

But I know I’ve become addicted to blogging more in these past 6 months than before as a means of expressing myself, sometimes as a means of self-discovery, sometimes for entertainment, sometimes to vent my feelings and sometimes to share my joy. And I know that you all have been with me through this ongoing journey, and I’m glad and grateful for that!

Because it’s been quite a journey, these 6 months. Quite like any other previously. It was different in Paris, different before Paris. But these 6 months have been a real mix of the good and the bad, intertwined so intricately that I can’t distinguish the good times from the bad! Which is just as well, because it means that it has all turned out good. Thank God for that.

28 comments:

Cool said...

how will u ever adjust when and if you shift back to India??
acha please mail me ur no. so can call u on ur b'day

APOO said...

Well, surely 'our' brain has not adapted to thinking in mph and still types in km/h.

At work, whenever I screw up, I use 'We'

aargee said...

hey! I was checking your old posts to find your b'day.. is it on the 29th of october? Do let me know :)

S said...

nice post !!

Which car did you buy ??

Daroga said...

well.... for me it would be Fall to Spring, to begin with.
Adaptation is natural as well as a necessity.
it's too early for a car but I do have a bike and so I too have adapted to the Right side, but the traffic system is still not so clear.
I am amazed by the 'we' thing. I am not sure if it is used in universities.
I think the formula that best fits the healing procedure would be Distance X Time = Constant.

Extremely nice and sincere thoughts.
Happy Journey :)

Keshi said...

Im in Spring to Summer :) woohoo!

Keshi.

Unknown said...

Such a lovely post...the way you write gives me a complete idea of what's running though your mind. :)

satyajit said...

So, your Amreekan immune system can only take Tylenol now :-)

I've been reading you for a year I think, and your writing seems to have improved in the meantime. I'm saying this as a lay reader and in no other capacity.

Still Searching said...

`cool
trust the human brain to adjust within days! not to worry, i wont drive when i am in india this time so that no one's life is in jeopardy! will mail you my number :)

`apoo
haha! i know wht you mean! thats why I think its a CYA strategy :) btw, now that you mention it, i actually do think in m/h now, but i wrote km/h in the post for the sake of 'perspective' :))

`aargee
u found that date in my posts somewhere?!! its correct :)

`s
nah! still driving my aunt's mercedes :)

`adarsh
thank you! i agree, adaptation is a necessity, but its amazing how most of it happens unconsciously! btw, hope u're not trying to drive the bike on highways and stuff and its all in campus!! and u're right, time is also a very important factor, but in this case its the fact that i dont see the person often that makes it easier..

`keshi
the best parts of the year! good for you! :))

`chaitali
thanks! but i'm not sure if thats such a good thing! hehehe! :))

`satyajit
good that the post evoked a comment from you! :)) thanks for the compliment, i appreciate it.. glad that u're still around reading, because not too many people stick around for very long.. ADD i think! hahha! :))

Incrediblyirrational said...

for a moment i thought you were going to say good bye. thank god! (for you didn't ;P )

that's true distance does magic. you can keep staring at them online and just knowing they are online feels good.

Vik Rajagopalan said...

Oh how much I liked what you wrote. So articulative and I was just reminiscing my times there and for a good long one that too and compare that to here. It is so intricate and complex out here simply because we take things for granted. Simple things like waiting for the signal to turn green, wait in a line, patience etc seems to have taken a back seat and yet we are audacious enough to mouth anything and everything.

You done good and yea for a moment I thought you were going to leave US and say bye bye to us all LOL.

Vik Rajagopalan said...

Oh by the way, I like the Fall pictures but never liked to see in person coz it ws the winter that used to be a big turn off. Sometimes we just seem to like things (and that we is for to classify me :])

nutty said...

aaaah! to be some place that actually has seasons!! unlike LA of course :P

I know what you mean .. the Americanisms seep into you so slowly you don't even realize it. but the funniest is whenever I go back home almost everyone exclaims "you haven't changed a bit!!" Lol! so I guess its just adapting but the real me will always be the same.

arpana said...

take care babes *hugs*

Unknown said...

its very good...you can't hide from me! :)

mathew said...

I think most of us who have shifted to state in mid-20's have this problem..part craving for desi-nostalgia and other half stopping us from reliquishing the new luxuries in life.

I think once I get back to India..I ll struggle with 10-12 hours per day work schedule..I have been working hardly for 7-8 hrs/day for the last one year!!;-P

Still Searching said...

`nithya
or you can keep staring at them online and feel odd that you are not talking any more! dont worry, i'm not going anywhere, atleast for the moment!

`vik
yeah, sometimes i really have to weigh the options and think about where i really want to live, because its peaceful here, and family is there... so its quite confusing some times.. and yes, approaching winter can create a sense of gloom, but you got to enjoy the present!

`nutty
i hope my family and friends say the same thing, that i haven't changed! :))

`arpana
:) thanks!

`chaits
hehehe... i guess! hey, will u be coming to delhi for a's wedding?

`mathew
oh yes! the working hours! how could i forget to mention that! like i said in an earlier comment, yes, its difficult to weigh which is better - the luxury and style of living here or being home with loved ones...

cm chap said...

Hey... Beautifully written. We both are in same boat :-) If you replace 6 months by 1 year I would also echo the same. (Most of them)

Fahrenheit than converting into Celsius - Even after a yr still it doesnt work for me. My mind simply refuses to workout this conversion.

I’ve learnt to say “we” instead of “I” in office - True. Also I learnt one more thing. Add 3 times buffer timing for any work.

cm chap said...

Hey ur a Scorp too is it.. Advance Birthday Wishes.

BTW... Pass on my birthday wishes to ur Dad too... Ho yeah I still rem ur comment on my blog saying we both share the B'days...

I guess ur... Powerful Scorp Family!!!

Zee said...

i still need to say who who who who who who from your previous post!

secondly, we say "we" here anyway...in fact if someone says i in office i feel like slapping them across their face!!!

and thirdly, aren't u going to be here on the big day???

BD said...

Now, what about the call??

IR said...

how will you ever drive in delhi, after getting use to driving at 85mph ?

IR said...

also thank u for adding me :)

zoxcleb said...

fall... a beatiful season... but its presence is only fleeting.. and then you have the skeletal trees standing guard over the ground.

but six months! wow, thats a quick adaptation. took me almost a yr to start thinking in fahrenheit.

6 months. a nice journey u've had so far... with the drunken parties, the mercedes car, realisation that ppl here are more indian than indians, the helpful strangers, and the blogger crush. btw, did he call?

distance fixes problems when they exist, and creates some where none exist, but the key is distance and time. as my sister once said, time heals, so it must exist.

aargee said...

hey!
Many Many Happy Returns Of the Day! I know I am wishing in advance, but just 2more hrs left for the 29th and by then I would go to sleep. Just wanted to wish you ahead :) Wish you a fun filled, joyous b'day and wish you a great year ahead. I didn't find any mail id in your blog..so sending wishes here....
Happy b'day to you
Happy b'day to you
Happy b'day dear you
Happy B'day to you :)

http://aargeesworld.wordpress.com

aargee said...

Btw you hadn't posted your exact DOB anywhere.... but u had posted 3-4 days after your b'day I guess :) and thanks for confirming.

Still Searching said...

`cm-chap
wow, u've got some amazing memory!! that was last yr wasn't it? or something like that! lol! thanks a lot for the bday wishes :) and yes, how can i forget that i'm slowly learning to quote like thrice the effort that would usually be required to complete some work! lol!

`zee
errr.. no, i'll be in delhi on 11th nov, coming back on 25th... we had better meet up in between, and i will not take 6 day working week as an excuse! and no one said "we" in my company in india atleast..

`equi
call?!! lol! thats forgotten about by now! now i want bday calls!

`ir
dont underestimate the human mind, it can come from 85 to 58 in minutes! :) u're welcome!

`zoxcleb
wow, what a beautiful comment! u have probably worded my 6 months journey better than i have! lol! yes, i know fall reminds one of winter, so its not exactly cheerful, but its still beautiful! btw, it wasn't the blogger crush who was supposed to call, but the person who was supposed to didn't either! :((

`aargee
wow!! thanks!! thats so sweet of you! yes, i remember last yr i posed cpl of days after my bday because i just didnt feel like celebrating it.. but this year is a differnt story! and u're the first person to wish me! :))

Nasia said...

ever heard of BDD..
Body discomfort disorder...

and when i heard of it.. i came to know.. i have it.. Acute BDD that is.. till then i jst thought it was inferiority complex :)

if u take a long time to get over someone.. its not because the feelings are stronger.. its jst cause u.. bump into each other more often.. :) yaa. distance is teh best healer..

all of us r the same. arent we? with or without the MBA ;)..