Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Its' all worth it now!

You may have noticed that I've been very wary of driving in the snow here... Having read some horror stories about it and talking to people who give advice like "Drive your car into a block of ice if you think you're going to cause a major accident", I've been at my wits end on how to avoid driving on the icy roads! I also feel colder than most people, so I tend to freeze pretty fast, and that's just one more reason to stay home and work remotely instead of making the effort to actually go to office!

But, here's the interesting bit - I'm falling in love.

With snow. (Ummm, what did you think?!)

And its all worth it now.

You've just got to look out at the white expanse, pristine and pure (before people walk over it and it becomes brown!), and you'll fall in love with the beauty of it all. The trees look so pretty, each branch slightly drooping under the weight of the snow, the outstretched fields look like a sea of white crystals, and the best part I think is the mood in the air! Its probably the most romantic season of all! You just feel like curling your fingers into someone else's, laughing, shivering, slipping, walking together...

You feel like smiling to yourself even when the roads are completely backed up and it takes you 1 hour to do 5 miles! Of course, if you're driving a Pontiac G6 Coupe, you'll smile through rain and snow alike! No no, this isn't the car that I've finally decided to buy/bought!! It doesn't even figure in my list, not out of choice but out of helplessness! (For those interested, I've decided its going to be the Altima Coupe, if I can't get a good deal on the Pontiac that is!).. No, I just turned out to be really lucky and got a free upgrade on my car rental and so am driving around (at 30 miles/hr - ok, so what the heck, I'm still scared of sliding on the snow!) in that these days! I'm only sad that it keeps getting covered in snow and the beautiful gleaming blue color is lost inside somewhere! :(

Incidentally, while we're on the subject of snow, this is the festive season after all - I've paid my respects to the cheer by shopping (too much)... most of the stuff I've bought is not useful to anyone. I've just bought it because its the season to buy. Shucks, such a sucker for marketing! Oh, and I don't know how many of you have noticed but people can be quite nasty during this season "to be jolly", especially in parking lots! "Say bye to Santa this year miss! You're fighting with me over a stupid parking space?!!"

Anyways, getting back to why it's all worth it, its because you can spend hours and hours with friends sitting inside a coffee shop and chatting away without feeling guilty that you should be "out there", doing hiking, trekking, rafting or any such unnecessarily tedious activities! (just kidding! i'd love to go on one of these actually!)... I spent 4 hours last evening having dinner with 4 PhD students from Brown University.. we were the most odd combination of people - one Greek (Greek God, if I may add!), one German, one Japanese and one other Indian apart from me! We spoke about everything under the sun from beer-drinking Swiss cows to airhostesses on international airlines, from Starbucks marketing strategy to the appropriate BMI of a Japanese v.s the rest of the world! Of course this isn't season related, but I miss the exchange of ideas that students have here... I guess it was a real missed opportunity to not have studied in this country... where else will you find such a diverse mix of people?! And the fact that these people really exchanged ideas about important stuff! I recently met a guy who is just finishing under-grad, and he's already so knowledgeable that it makes me wonder! He spent 3 months in India last year, he's going to go biking through Asia when he graduates, and is planning to work in China after that... and his friend spent a few months in Pakistan learning Urdu and studying about Madarsas! They were teaching each other Urdu and Chinese, which was such a better use of time than talking about the latest affair of your college-mates or bitching about a professor! I think the only ideas my friends and I exchanged in college was whose nail polish was better and who was going out with whom!! (ok, so thats not true - but I'm trying to make a point!)

And lastly, I'm going out for lunch with this person I really really like! [Can't tell you guys who, though I must have mentioned him at least 3 times before! But, for the curious ones (read Zee and S) this is not a romantic involvement! :)))]

So its' all worth it, getting out in the snow.

:)

21 comments:

Daroga said...

it doesn't snow here :(((((
ny friends in the north keep describing how beautiful the snow is... but then u gotta see it to believe it .. right???
anyways... kabhi to mera no. aayega :P

IR said...

maaaaaaaaaan are you buying this ?

http://www.nissanusa.com/altimacoupe/-- hot car, maybe you should put it up on facebook, to go with your status on facebook !

actually i almost fell for the Pontiac bit, and was about to comment without even bothering to read the rest of the blog !

why is it that we indians are stuck up on studies ,growing old,get married bit while kids in the states are more relaxed in their approach, maybe its because uptill know the US was a affluent society ?

but man hot car :-)

BD said...

Never seen snow :(

Have fun!

S said...

ok then what kind of involvement ????
curiosity never dies , u see !!

Zee said...

i have learnt by now that when u say u're in luv u don't mean any person or anythign exciting as that. so don't be surprised if i ask u what u're marrying if u ever call me and say u're getting married!!!!!

and what do u mean discussing nailpolishes and who's going out with whom was not really what we spoke about in college?? it so was! and still is for me!!!

put up some snow pictures na...i prefer greener fields and tender sunshine and would never be able to withstand the snow but enjoyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!! :)

ps- wearing the earrings u gave me. they're gorgeous!!!!

APOO said...

S: If its not a romantic involvement, its a one night/afternoon stand, no strings attached, purely carnal sort of involvement.... I think!

Search: I think u shud buy the Mini Cooper S.

Still Searching said...

`adarsh
mere khayal se tumhara number kaafi cheezon mein abhi baaki hai! meeting celebrities, seeing snow!! do something about this now!! lol! :))

`ir
oh yes, i intend to put up atleast the pontiac on my fb, so we have a good combination! hehehe... i found out that the pontiac g6 coupe and altima coupe cost the same, so i may actually go for either...
and yes, its probably because america is a developed country and so people have time to fool around and explore whereas indians just wnat to study and get going with a high earning job, thats all.. and yes. both cars are hot :)

`equilibrium
go to shimla!

`s
you are baaaccckkk!! are u back in shanghai? how was the trip?? (as you can see, i'm trying to divert your attention away from the "type of involvement" question!!)

`zee
lol! yeah its possible that given the number of false alarms i've given about falling in love, when it actually comes, no one will believe me! lol! glad you liked the earrings! I was just thinking about them today when I was shopping for my cousin and went to the same store I bought your earrings from..

oh and u know, what the heck, may as well admit it, it WAS the only thing we discussed, apart from making fun of the profs! :))

`apoo
i guess it's true when they say people interpret other people's actions and intentions according to their own experiences! we can see why now! :P

aur ab yeh mini cooper kahan se aa gaya?!!

Keshi said...

snow..love it!

Hv a great holiday season luv!
See u in 2008 :)

Keshi.

Fuzzy, the Ducky said...

hey .. looks like someone is completely snow-smitten! I loved the stuff that you had to write about students getting on with their lives. Maybe we should hop out of our wells for a change!

And Christmas- a season for shopping? I must have missed the change. You're right.. the marketers are doing a great job ;)

Renovatio said...

I love snow, though unfortunately I haven't seen a lot of it lately.

Gorgeous car you picked... one of the few a spoiler doesn't look uttler punju. Won't say much about racing it though :p

Vik Rajagopalan said...

Oh let it snow, let it snow and let it snow - atleast for the rendezvous with the 'nice' guy [:D]

That sure sounds like a good plan on how to welcome year 2008. Take it easy then.

Indrajit said...

it nevr snows in delhi too.;-(..

As usual . a lovely read..
N merry Christmas to yuo.;-)

S said...

Apoo : thanks for putting it so clearly!!
But our blogger is vehemently denying this and desperately trying to divert attention ..
that adds further fuel to the fire of curiosity !!!!

Still searching : yeah am baackkk…In shanghai …India trip was good..
Met lots of people ..will mail you about it ..
Attention still PERSISTS !!

Unknown said...

You're not allowed to write about these mystery dates...I keep asking and you don't tell me...this time when I saw you in Bombay I should not have let you go without getting some names out!!! Uff...bad girl!
I want to see snow fall... :(

Cuckoo said...

Who is the man?
Who is the man?
Who is the man?
Who is the man?
Who is the man?
Who is the man?
Who is the man?
Who is the man?
Who is the man?
Who is the man?
Who is the man?
Who is the man?
Who is the man?
Who is the man?

Enjoy the snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Invincible said...

hmmm....man!! con't even talk bout snow...i can't even feel the cold weather here in mumbai...I jz luv winters n snow...m jealous

nutty said...

:)

just talked to you on the phone so dunno what to write :)

let's hope we meet soooon!

Zee said...

go cuckoo go!!!!!!!!! ruchi answer

Cool said...

yes Ruchi answer.....

Still Searching said...

Ok ok, for the curious ones who are driving themselves crazy... it was my boss :)

CandidConfessions said...

Oh, the snow lady! I totally agree.. Im in love with it too!