Saturday, January 26, 2008

Early morning.. blues?!

I'm not an early riser by any means... 7:30 is early for me, on an average day... ofcourse on an average day I also have to make it to office in time so I wake up a whole 15 mins earlier... At my most active, I can wake up in the morning and do yoga/meditation (for half an hr, ok 15 mins), have a bath (there's a reason I'm specifying this - because I know many people who go to office without having a bath in the morning in winters, and I'm of the variety who can't step out of the house even for grocery without having one, summer or winter!), grab a toast and rush out.. At my laziest, I have a bath and rush out... Weekends are a whole different ballgame... 7:30 AM is like midnight, whether or not I was out the night before... and usually when I do wake up around 9:30 or so, it takes me ages to surface and come to normality... I mean, if I have to travel then it doesn't matter, but if I am at home, then it seems like a waste of time waking up early on a weekend!

Anyways, today I woke up at 7:30... on a Saturday! It was sacrilege! But I had to wake up "early" because my cousin was going to give her SAT and I wanted to wish her luck... I went back to bed after vaguely giving her a hug and saying something to the likeness of "Don't drink too much of that juice you're taking with you, you'll waste time going to the bathroom"!!! Tsk tsk, such sound advice from big sis.. she must really treasure me!

But I couldn't go back to sleep (which has never been a problem with me before), so for want of anything better to do, I started clearing up my room.. That done, I did my laundry, and one thing led to another and I found I was vacuuming (everyone else in the house was already awake - yeah, they're the type who wake up at 6 on weekends too.. hmmm), setting my cupboard straight, finishing a sudoku puzzle (that's my current timepass, I know I'm late to join the craze but what the hell!), AND making breakfast for everyone!! My aunt was literally staring at me the whole time, and I think she started giggling when I reached for the duster to clear the dust in the family room (there was a whole load of construction happening at home the past week, hence the dust)...

And I was done with all this by 9!

And now I have the rest of the day to do nothing! Hehehe... It feels good because on other weekends I'd also bum around, but I would know I need to finish my work and I'd start by around 11, which is LATE by the standards set in this house... It's important to note that I love cleaning, it's therapeutic for me! I've done it since I was a kid, it's actually my favourite thing to do on a Sunday morning! Only issue is that the timing is all wrong!!!

But today is great because I've been a good girl :) And I'm feeling so fresh and energetic having woken up to the early morning air, I think I'm going to go shopping! Guilt-free!There are so many more things I can pack into one day that I think this "wake up early" lecture I keep getting may actually have something to it!

So here's hoping I can wake up in good time every weekend and have more time to do stuff (read: nothing)!

23 comments:

zoxcleb said...

Hahaha.... early mornings are always fun to wake up to.... but its so so hard.... :)

APOO said...

I am sending ya a round trip ticket to Michigan. Since you enjoy doing so, please come here n clean my house!!

D said...

Wow!! So much work on a Saturday?! 7:30 is early for me by all standards... I woke up at 12 noon today :D
PS: And hey, I'm addicted to Sudoku too, a tad too late!

Still Searching said...

`zoxcleb
lol! yeah i know! this is really the first time i'm getting early without a reason like to travel!

`apoo
for the last time, i'm not your MOM!!! :P

`d
lol! yup, true, 7:30 is early... but 12 is too late for me! i cant really sleep beyond 9:30 on weekends too! and yeah, sudoku is quite addictive!

Daroga said...

early to bed and early to rise....
hehehehehe
at least for us students.... we HAVE to get up early for the classes. Otherwise... there is NO reason to do that, weekdays-weekends not withstanding

enjoy your 'long' day(s)

Cool said...

I hate getting up early and then cleaning after getting up... not my cup of tea......

nyways hoping soon i will be able wake up 45-60 mins later than my current weekday schedule :)

mathew said...

Lol!!..i know u woke up early just to do the shopping part!! ;-P

Btw I wake up at 7:30 too..but it is about 8:00 am when the system is fully booted.that 30 min is pure dumbness..

nutty said...

errrr..... ok finally the similarities end! you're scaring me!!

weekends I usually sleep at about 6 am (irrespective of my plans the night before) and I only clean when I absolutely have to!!

on week days I try and haul myself out of bed by 8:30 at the earliest but it's almost an hour later that I actually hit the shower :P yes this is one of the reasons I abs lou my job :)

S said...

I wake up at 05:30 every weekday cos I need to leave home by 7:45 to reach office by 9 !!MARRIAGE , I TELL U , GET INTO IT ONLY WHEN U HAVE SLEPT ENOUGH !!

Solitaire said...

I pray to God to give me one such day.
I woke up this morning at 1:30, which technically is afternoon!

Chaitali Patel said...

I love cleaning too and sudoku!!! Can completely understand how good it must have felt to suddenly sit down and think wow I have done all the chores and now I can do what I want...do some fun stuff.

Still Searching said...

`adarsh
which is why i'm so happy i'm not studying anymore! :))

`cool
because you're going to move to your new office which is 5 mins away from your house?!! dammit!

`mathew
lol! yeah true, for me first 10 mins are numb, then i'm ok... and although i had time to do shopping, i didn't do it.. i'm trying not to spend too much money shopping these days..

`nutty
again, why are u telling us less fortunate souls this?? u don't want us to kill you do you now?!

`s
lol! that's too funny!! priceless actually!

`solitaire
i could never wake up that late!! oh no wait, i did that on the very first day of new yrs! so ok, i can!

`chaits
of all people, i knew you would totally understand!

Indrajit said...

hehe lol.
waking in the morning is really good for health. The elders say so. So I religioulsy wake up everysingle day at bang 5 am.

" An Obedient nerd".

:P :P

Aiswarya said...

You know what; I can sleep like a rock on weekdays, when i have to wake up to go to work. On weekends, I wake up at 6 in the morning!! Weird eh!! I find cleaning and tidying therapeutic too, except for my cupboard! Total wreck. Laundry is the best! All those dirty clothes rolling over in the washing machine, what a sight eh?!

BD said...

I felt just the same some 15 days back. But, mornings are nice...the sun rise too!

Mahogany said...

I love waking early on weekends. Here's a trick you can try: go for an early show of a movie. By noon on Saturday you'll have film under your belt and still feel like you have the whole weekend ahead of you :-)

Zee said...

darling...i am deeply worried about ur mental health. u actually sound happy abt waking up early. let me describe what i did this saturday. woke up at 11. out of bed to bathe at 12. back in bed at 12:15. out of bed to take lunch at 1:30. back in bed at 1:32. out of bed at 8:30 to take dinner. back in bed at 8:32. out of bed at 8:45 to wash hands. back in bed at 8:46. out of bed sunday morning 11am

Vadapoche said...

You sound very scary!!!! Like my wife, she chooses the most inopportune time to get bitten by the cleaning bug.

Pointblank said...

hey... ur blog is lovely. m gonna blogroll u, hope u wont mind!

Renovatio said...

The days I'm not bullied by the women in my life to stay in bed and not work out in the morning, I'm up at 6:15, at the gym at 6:30. If you get into the habit of waking up that early, days seem surprisingly short and inadequate if you try sleeping in again. :D

I had a point to make in this comment, I forgot it. My bad.

APOO said...

I would never ask MOM to come clean my house, would I? Nahhh....

So there, now you know how to prove you aint my MOM... come, clean the house :P

Still Searching said...

`indrajit
damn!! i could never do it on a habitual basis, i'm pretty sure! i'm impressed that you can!

`aiswarya
awesome! great to see someone else who is like this! makes me feel less weird in this world! lol!

`equilibrium
aah well its been ages since i saw the sun rise actually!

`mahogany
i know! if you wake up early, u just feel like u have a longer weekend!

`zee
ms. queen :) thats' the difference between having and not having central heating inside the house! believe me, back in delhi i'd be doing EXACTLY the same thing.... hell, i did it last yr!

`jollyroger
i'm telling you! its' just like having a beer and watching sports for you guys... cleaning is like your time with yourself! :))

`pointblank
ofcourse i don't mind!! thank you! :)

`renovatio
omg! oh well, what can i say.. lucky you that someone asks you to STAY in bed (for reasons i dont wanna know!)!

`apoo
you, mister, are getting the silent treatment. hmpf!

Vik Rajagopalan said...

LOL women have this innate desire for the cleaning part. Ask them sex or cleansing, they wud take the cleansing part quite interestedly. LOL.

But doing all this even on the weekend, mate, just take it easy don't be so hard on yourself.

PS - I so love the sudoku .. welcome mate