Sunday, August 03, 2008

Junk alert!!

Yes, its been a long time. For those who thought I was dead.. here's my answer - :P

But my apologies, this time I really left blogger for too long, unfortunately am not even up-to-date on some of my favourite blogs! Am sure you all missed my comments! ;)

Anyways, its been a very very hectic couple of months - I've moved into a new apartment which I've leased for one year, which means doing up the place in my own way and that means lots of shopping (yes, I'm spoilt. I live on my own.) I've also been doing a lot of volunteer work for an organization, which meant every evening after-office hours and weekends were spent in that... I've also met a whole new bunch of people who have shown me a different side of New York, which is great! And I've been doing some soul searching and deep thinking as well while my life has been a roller coaster ride! I finally bought a tv after 4 months of living on my own, but the tv is still not installed, so I continue to watch movies online on my 15 inch faithful laptop. And I continue to be oblivious to the latest and greatest news around the world, my only source of news being the captivate.com news headlines in my office elevator! (I do not spend office time surfing news websites, errr.. I really dont' get the time, don't get me wrong!).

Anyways, today was another round of shopping for the house, and I'm almost done... I only have some major items to furnish like sofa and chest of drawers, but apart from that, I'm good to go! I love this process of setting up my own place, because it brings out the years of desire I had to have to decorate my own house.. Ah, before you think it's a big house, my apartment is a small studio, but somehow, I can manage to find many things that I'd like to put in it.

Hence my post title. I've come to a point now when I've shopped so much but still dont seem to have everything. But today, I caught myself. I think every girl should have a device strapped to her fingers that beeps every time we start to buy junk things that we think we will need some day. I think it should read our thoughts too. Every time we try to rationalize an unnecessary purchase as "I'll use it some day", it should set an alarm off that will be so loud that we'll die of embarassment and will retreat from the item and go hide ourselves in the corner of the shop. Hmmm.

Because today I bought so many things that I dont need and wont be able to use right away, but could not stop myself inspite of knowing I am collecting junk! Sigh. So I thought, maybe if I had a small machine that would either send an electric pulse to my brain or simply electrocute me, then maybe I wont spend so many dollars buying unnecessary frills and save some money and have a fat bank balance.

Sigh.

On a separate note, Wednesday I am planning to join Kathak classes in the city, am so excited! Ok, now you may wonder why I learnt Salsa in Delhi and am learning Kathak in NYC. Hmmm. Tough. I think the answer is that the grass is always greener on the other side :)

On that note, I shall sign off, and this time without any promises of being regular, because whenever I do that, I find that I'm most irregular with my blogging! Btw, hope that everyone else who has disapeared on blogger also comes back now!! Haha, yes I can be very selfish :)

29 comments:

S said...

Nothing to say ..COMMENTER's BLOCK , you see !

S said...

Or COMMENTER's REVENGE , you may say !!

Daroga said...

good luck with all your junk :P
I am also in between residences and have collected (not bought :P) lots of stuff, though they are all useful.

Happy Friendship Day :)

Incrediblyirrational said...

i'm not sure of the color of the grass but i'm sure it's your fincancial anoerexia that urges you to find ways to spend more money :P .that is assuming kathak would've been cheaper in india and salsa in NYC :P

APOO said...

I suggest you direct deposit all your salary into my account and I'll manage the funds, giving you enough to pay rent and eat + travel. This way, you wont buy the junk (oh yes, we'll also burn your credit cards).

Since that device you talk about will never come into being (who can read a womans mind?), this is your next best option!

Ram said...

shopping for setting up one's own home is something which I've gotta do too....my house in Mumbai is getting ready in 15 days time...

Gosh!! I'm so excited. :-)

-Ram.

cm chap said...

Ha Ha Ha... Selfish Scorp.. Yup still we are back here to comment.

Yeah its been long.. infact 2 weeks back I was lookg for you in NYC roads when I roamed there. :-)

Cuckoo said...

Good to see you back! Many mubaraks on the over-spending.. nothing gives as much pleasure as an exhausting shopping trip with more bags than one can manage to carry... what say? :) Since you are single, you may as well splurge now...no hidden responsibilities you see! Btw, pics of apartments is a MUST. Soon. and don't you dare disappear again!

CandidConfessions said...

Wow, Kathak in NY! Thts awesome. And, wow again, setting up your own house is the best thing to happen. Speaks our mind, our rooms. Good luck and congrats on your new studio. Also, I would like to get your perspective on living in a studio. I live in Jersey with a couple of friends. Do post on how it is to live on your own in a studio!
Btw, I have moved to wordpress. Here is the link - http://forallthatisundone.wordpress.com/

nutty said...

So I decided to binge a little today and got myself "dinner" from Mc'Ds. Here I am... sitting n chomping gluttonously on my salty greasy fries when I decide to try your blog in the hope that you're back.

And you are!

Not just that but with a new post titled "Junk Alert"!! I almost dropped my burger wondering if the blog word was turning against me for my 1 night of junk food indulgence!!

:D

ok now to your post ... but first may I say - Yaaaay! You're back!!

As for the shopping and the house set up .. I hear ya gurl!! I definitely hear ya! Sigh!

Have fun in your new place!

Unknown said...

ha ha checking blogs after a long time too...good to see you are back...time I got back.
Called you on Saturday...pl pick up my calls. :(

Renovatio said...

The extent of shopping I did when I moved into my flat here was for hangers and cereal.

Unknown said...

interesting blog. And so true about the junk purchases!
Also check www.superhypersonic.com :-)

cm chap said...

Not at all fair from your end :-(

That Girl said...

oh i love watching movies on my Mac!! its a flat screen, so we arent gonna get a Tv .. not in the near future!!
( hello!! just bloghopping by!!)

Anonymous said...

Hi ,

I was reading ur blog posts and found some of them to be very good.. u write well.. Why don't you popularize it more.. ur posts on ur blog ‘Somewhere over the rainbow’ took my particular attention as some of them are interesting topics of mine too;

BTW I help out some ex-IIMA guys who with another batch mate run www.rambhai.com where you can post links to your most loved blog-posts. Rambhai was the chaiwala at IIMA and it is a site where users can themselves share links to blog posts etc and other can find and vote on them. The best make it to the homepage!

This way you can reach out to rambhai readers some of whom could become your ardent fans.. who knows.. :)

Cheers,

Divia said...

tell me abt collecting things that we dont use right away...

my entire cupboard is full of these things and a few clothes of course! ranging from foldable lamps, clocks, photo frames, scented candles, and so on

all these im collecting to decorate my home when i get to go to one...
still stuck with my in laws....sigh

Parul said...

where are you? busy again?

Bullshee said...

We have started to return...time you got back in the game too...

So start off with the "Sorry I've been away for so long" post and then follow it up with the "I became crazier the last few months because..." post...

We're waiting... :-)

i'll have another one said...

hehehehe its amazing..ive been away from blogger for a year (i wish i could say it was because i was helping children in the zaire basin (or even next door for that matter!)and the first thing i did after writing a bit was look for yu..and there i read your post saying youre sure youre comments were missed..well they were!!

anyways great to read you stuff again..this post was like a quick catch up on you and i cant tell you how envious i am of you being in ny!! and taking trips to peru!! sighhh my life sucks!!

Zee said...

ruchiiiiiiiiii get back to blogworld NOW!

Indrajit said...

Congrts for ur new home..

All the best..

:)

S said...

Its bad manners to abandon your baby blog like this ..COME BACK AND TAKE CHARGE.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Princess Banter said...

Come baaaaaaaack - if I get to come back to blogger-land, so can you! I've missed you :)

Unknown said...

You've been away too long again! knock knock!

Renovatio said...

It's been a long time again. Get to it?

Prasoon said...

you stopped writing? why?

write back with reasons.. if not here, then drop me a line but please do explain. :)

Prasoon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.