Wednesday, January 02, 2008

The rest is still unwritten...

So it's that time of the year again when one has to take stock of what one has achieved in the year that has just flown by, and what one wants to do with the coming year... I was looking at my New Year post written on the same day last year, and am afraid of repeating myself! However, I shall conitnue for the sake of tradition...

Last year I thought I had everything figured out, I thought I knew what was going to happen almost on a month by month basis! And although I'm not usually clairvoyant (yes, sometimes I am, but that's another story), but a lot of it came pretty much true! Of course, there's always surprises, there's always hope and sometimes hopelessness, and that's what keeps up the spice in life...

But 2008 - I have no idea what it holds for me! I can't predict this year because there's no history... It's scary because of the uncertainty... it's like stepping into the dark in an unfamiliar house.. you're on your own, nothing to go by... so many possibilities and yet you don't know which one will work and which won't work... life seems like it's on an Improbability Drive, you don't know where you're going to land up finally!

And yet, I feel positive about it, or at least make myself believe that I do.. because you are what your thoughts are.

I feel inclined to do whatever I can to make the best of the times and not let years go passing by without a sense of fulfillment. And though I don't believe in New Year resolutions, I do believe that a fresh start at the beginning of the year can give you perspective (and here I've failed already, because the start of this year was anything but "fresh" for me!! Too much partying and then sleeping at 6 in the morning doesn't seem like such a good idea now)...

[I'm irritated though that my birthday and the new year come so close by.. this whole reminiscing and taking stock thing is too much pressure so close together in the year!]

And I do know that I want to do the following things for sure this year. And hopefully this published post will remind me of my own promises and kick me into action whenever I forget.

- Learn another new language, maybe Spanish this time, so that I can choose whichever option I want when calling customer service!
- Get back to singing (outside the bathroom)... oh yes, though none of you will fortunately be subjected to this torture, I plan to get back to singing... so many hours shall be spent re-discovering Sa Re Ga Ma Pa.
- Graduate from the bunny slope and be able to ski at the next level.
- Stop wearing shades of black, grey, white and brown most of the time (and for all you men out there, different shades of white DO exist!!)
- Give more time to myself instead of my job, laptop and sleep.
- Learn how to say no (because saying no to someone you don't like/isn't your friend doesn't count as much as saying no to someone you do like/is your friend)
- Travel to another new country.. ok now this is stretching it. But then maybe not.
- Somehow, just somehow be able to convey to my family how much I love them and am grateful for all they've done and sacrificed for me. And always be there for them the way they've been there for me.
- Stop crying in every emotional scene I see in a movie (recently I cried myself silly watching Taare Zameen Par - brilliant movie though!!)

Ok, I think I need to stop before I spill over to 2009!!

So, on this positive note, I'm ready to take on what 2008 holds for me, and hopefully find what I've been searching for!


Live your life with arms wide open
Today is where your book begins
The rest is still unwritten...
-- Natasha Bedingfield

24 comments:

S said...

Hey , All the best for all that you want to achieve in this year .
Btw, Isn't it fun to wait and watch if you have no idea of what the coming year holds for you ?

Renovatio said...

Or a combination of wait and see, but also work for what you want to achieve?
I've got my fingers crossed for you :)

Chaitali Patel said...

Happy New Year...may all your dreams come true...may you write a post in Spanish next year. :)

APOO said...

Marry a RICH Matador in Spain

- you shall learn Spanish
- Forget slopes. Start bull-fighting!
- Spain is a colorful country. You shall graduate from the dull shades
- The matador is RICH! U can quit your job and spend time with yourself.
- Am sure your family is after you to get married... so you can show them how much you care by listening to them!

thats like 5 birds in one stone!

mathew said...

wish you good luck in the new year..l must admit that i could help cryin watchin that movie too..maybe i felt a tinge of that character in me!!

but on a whole ur resolutions are worth copyin..;-P

Still Searching said...

`s
i'm not sure if it's fun, but yes, it does a leave a lot to the imagination, so you can have fun with that!

`renovatio
i'm not sure what i want to achieve either! but thats' ok, that's nothing new for me!

`chaits
lol! yeah, for which you'll also have to make it your new year resolution so that you can read my post! :) loved ur pics! how was new yrs eve?

`apoo
u know, i'm amazed at your thought process.. problem solving mind, that's for sure! lol... thanks, now i need to find someone who can help me find such a boy :p

`mathew
i'm happy to see someone else also got emotional at the kid's plight! haha, well i hope i can live upto at least some of these expectations i have from myself!

Aparna Ganguly said...

:D Nice resolutions
And yeah, I will never know why most men don't know a color called cyan or midnight blue exists . (I know that's sexist) Btw, don't stop weeping while watching a good movie or a great book. Sometimes all you can do to appreciate a moment is let those tears flow :) Even if you are labeled a cry baby for that. Taare Zameen Par is a tangent on the softer side human emotion , if it doesn't touch you- you need a check up :P

Daroga said...

get BACK to singing !!!!!
last time kab, kahan, kaise ??
waise ALL THE BEST for all your resolutions and the likes.
and a VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR :)

arpana said...

nice set there, though mine has forever been to have none. that way you havent over achieved or *gulp* unerachieved :)

Cool said...

agree with first part of the post... but this not making any plans on new year specifically... but then trying to get fair idea on wht i want to do in life :)

best of luck.. and i like the idea of apoo for you :)

Bullshee said...

Someone shared with me his cynical view on the New Year explaining that it was just another day in the Gregorian calendar which had been imposed on us...

But yeah...a fresh start is something everyone would want...

A suggestion on the new country -Try Brazil/Chile/Peru...hear they're lovely!

Indrajit said...

as usual nice reading ur post.;-)
Hope u succeed in whateva you do.;-)
Tc.

nutty said...

ah the 6 am partying ... sounds so familiar!!

that's my resolution this year .. no more new years eve parties, thank you very much!

here's raising a toast to your resolutions tho - best of luck!

you go gurl!

Keshi said...

hey Happy New Year!

Keshi.

Zee said...

-how did u know exactly how 2007 would pan out and how come u don't know it now?
- u have company for spanish....sne who's already started and now knows what la bamba means when she sings it! and adi who thinks spanish babes are the cutest in the world and so a must know language!
- saying no...good perspective...but the toughest thing to do... :(
- tzp...already blogged on it...suckers we are!

Fuzzy, the Ducky said...

hey silly .. everyone cried for Tare Zameen Par. Nice list. I got inspired to do one myself

Zee said...

ruchi....don't listen to apoo...he's asking u to marry an automobile!!! matador was a van people used to go to school in....

zoxcleb said...

wow... u plan too much.... :-)
nice plans they are, however.

and to help with the singing, a carpenters song comes to mind...

Sing, sing a song
Sing out loud
Sing out strong
Sing of good things not bad
Sing of happy not sad.


:-)

BD said...

Nice list. Hope you fulfill them all :)

Still Searching said...

`aparna
lol, yeah true TZP is an emotional tangent and I think I identified with the kid a lot and thats why I was such a wreck! and I know, peach is a colour too, not just a fruit! lol

`adarsh
thanks and happy new yr to you too! i used to sing earlier, when i was in school uptil college.. then i stopped, due to various reasons but have started again

`arpana
yeah mine has been none for ages now, but i thought this year i should give myself some direction, just as a headstart!

`cool
yeah you need to think about how you're going to spend one more year of your life, so a little guideline is required i think!

`bullshee
i agree with your cynical friend mostly, but i think as our lives go rushing by, we need some point where we can take stock and plan out whats going to happen next.. for the country, i'm aiming a little more higher - to Mexico!

`nutty
hahaha! and so the similarity continues! hope your resolutions come true too!

`keshi
thanks and same to you

`zee
i had planned it all out for 2007... quitting job, moving here etc etc... i'm going to learn spanish online, then sne and i will message each other in spanish! cool! and u're right! we used to have matadors in bbsr, didnt know big city people had heard of them too! lol!

`fuzzy
really? i got to read yours!

`zoxcleb
hehehe.. nice one...

`equi
thanks, i hope i even get started on any one of them!

Vik Rajagopalan said...

Happy new years... if I ever had your list of to-do, I think I already have done quite a bunch [:D]

anyway, nice to see you back or how about saying, nice to get back to your blog after a while [:D]

She's not so paapa man! said...

Hey I cried myself silly watching taare zameen par too! awesome movie. Took me on a childhood nostalgia trip even though rv wasn't anything like the school in the film.

She's not so paapa man! said...

Ya and i think if this whole theory of what you do on new years day, you do for the rest of the year holds , I am a hungoveren zombie all year

Divia said...

your resolutions are somewhat close to mine...
i decided to learn an instrument and some voice training too
and salsa classes in an attempt to reduce weight! travel to few place in TN itself where i ve not been to...
the question where im going to get time for all these???